Secondary Transition Consulting

Is Your Child With Disabilities Preparing For Their Future?

  • Do you have a child ages 13 to 21 who needs support with the transition portion of their Individualized Education Plan (IEP)? 
  • Is your child with a disability embarking upon the transition out of school and/or into adulthood? 
  • Or are you interested in developing a long-term plan for your child’s future?  

Perhaps you’re wondering what the Individualized Transition Plan (ITP) is and how it relates to your child’s IEP in their school’s special education program. You may be curious if they should receive a diploma or a certificate of completion at the end of their senior year. 

On the other hand, you may be the parent of an adult child who is no longer in school but in search of vocational or educational programs and independent living opportunities that align with their skills and interests. Perhaps you had a plan for your child up until adulthood, but now you’re unsure of how to move forward as they look ahead to more independent living. Or maybe recent changes in your family have shifted roles and responsibilities related to the long-term care of your child.

Every family’s circumstances are different, and when it comes to transitional support, there is no one linear and direct path. That’s why I offer secondary transition consulting services for families of children with disabilities. 

Navigating The Many Options For Transition Support Can Be Taxing  

Raising a child with disabilities is a demanding job as is, and it can be difficult to understand what options they have in regard to high school and their future. For children with Autism, intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities, the transition into adulthood can be a hard one to navigate. 

Take, for instance, children in the special education program at their high school who graduate upon completion of their senior year. Though this may seem like an obvious choice, it’s nevertheless important to understand that once a child graduates, they’re no longer qualified to receive educational services provided by the district. Given that the school district’s transition resources—offered until age 22—tend to be of higher caliber and offer more opportunity, it may make more sense for your child to receive a certificate of completion. 

Yet, if your child stays in school, how can you be sure that their IEP is upheld in their special education program? How can you hold the school accountable for implementing their Individual Transition Plan (ITP), ensuring sufficient transition support and proper assessments for independent living, employment, and/or post-secondary education?  

Of course, such questions surrounding the care and development of your child are not just limited to their high school career. You may have an adult child with special needs whose options for transition support are numerous and hard to fully comprehend. As you (and perhaps your other children) grow older, you may be wondering how to sustainably support an adult child with disabilities well into the future. 

These are difficult decisions to make! However, with my outside-the-box thinking and long career supporting individuals with special needs, my secondary transition consulting services can help your child embark on a unique and viable path that aligns with your family’s wishes. 

Secondary Transition Consulting Can Offer You Peace Of Mind About Your Child’s Future

My career has given me the opportunity to work with a lot of different families and learn about the wide variety of options available when it comes to transition support for individuals with disabilities. As a secondary transition consulting specialist, I can help you develop a strategic plan that looks far into the future of your child. I know what questions to ask, what services to look for, and how to incorporate long-term thinking into our approach. 

The services I offer are highly tailored to meet the needs of each family and draw from a person-centered approach that honors the individual, cultural, and logistical preferences of your family. In maintaining sensitivity for and understanding of your family’s unique dynamics, I can help you chart the path forward in a way that actually works and feels sustainable. 

If, after an initial introductory consultation, it’s determined that your family could benefit from my secondary transition consulting services, we will then develop a plan engineered towards providing support to your child in the most effective way. 

Working together, we’ll create multiple steps that map out your child’s future, taking into consideration important details and desired preferences along the way. And if your child is continuing on an IEP and/or in their school’s special education program, I will help you to maximize the Individual Transition Plan to support their eventual departure from the school system.   

Your child’s transition into adulthood doesn’t have to be a frustrating or counterproductive endeavor—there are many options available to them. I can assist you in making decisions about where your child will live, how their medical care will be handled, and what kinds of government services and post-secondary educational, employment, and volunteer opportunities they can take advantage of.

By consulting your family through the secondary transition process, I can help your child to lay the foundation for a future that is bright with possibility.

Perhaps you could benefit from secondary transition consulting, but you have some questions…

Isn’t my child’s school going to provide transitional support? 

While your child’s special education program may have sufficient resources, schools tend to have blanket approaches when it comes to facilitating the transition into adulthood. They often have caseloads that are too large to provide highly individualized guidance. And more often than not, schools use over-generalized checklists that may not take into consideration the unique talents, skills, and desires of a student with special needs. 

Whereas the staff at your child’s school are mostly limited to knowledge about in-network district services, I have an extensive understanding of such resources as Medicaid waivers, adult transition programs, and government-funded opportunities. 

I view this transitional process as an ongoing conversation. In providing secondary transition consulting, I can learn more about your family and really understand which options will work best for your child. 

I’m concerned about my child’s options for employment.  

There are many different services and programs to assist individuals in getting a job they enjoy. The Regional Center and Department of Rehabilitation can provide services for supported employment, job coaching, as well as paid internships—just to name a few options.  

I’m concerned about my child continuing post-secondary education.  

I can help you to ensure that your child is set up in the right program and receiving proper support. We want to prevent your child from experiencing educational setbacks or dropping out of school and working with me will allow you to navigate the services available to your child in a way that maximizes transition opportunities.  

I am concerned about my child’s independent living options.

I will work with you to review options for independent living and understand how various programs are funded while taking into account your family’s unique situation and hopes for the future. Together, we can determine a plan for Supported Living Services, Independent Living Services, or a group home that works best for your family. 

Your Child Can Look Ahead To The Future With Confidence

If you seek a long-term plan to support your child with special needs in having a full and fulfilling life, my secondary transition consulting services can help you explore options and implement a strategy. To schedule a free, 30-minute consultation to learn more about how I can help, please call (530) 426-8056 or email me.