Commonly Asked Questions

The ITP is really important, but it only addresses what the school is responsible for.  I bring it all together, first by reviewing the ITP and making sure that the transition assessment is person-centered and meets the student’s needs. I also work with families to make sure that they are addressing other components such as legal and financial matters, and medical and dental insurance, which might change once your child is 18 years old.  I also help families navigate the adult services available through government funded agencies so they can choose what is best for their child.

Secondary transition planning is the process in which the student, parents, and school begin planning for the transition from secondary education into adulthood.  It typically begins with a transition assessment that guides the goals in the Individual Transition Plan (ITP).  There are other areas to consider such as skill development at home, financial and legal factors and learning about government services that are available to the individual when he becomes an adult.  For more information, see The Secondary Transition Checklist; you can get your copy by clicking the box on the top right hand corner.

There are many options for independent living such as Group Homes, Supported Living Services and Independent Living Services. I can help narrow those choices to those that best support your adult child and fit your family.

Unfortunately, jobs that students hold in transition programs do not continue after they exit the program. Through a discovery process we can determine which service would support your child to identify the right job or career and which Regional Center (State Developmental Disability services) or Department of Rehabilitation program (or both) would best support his long term vocational goals.

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) indicates that the school must have the Individual Transition Plan (ITP) by the student’s 16th birthday, and in some cases, if the team decides, by the 14th birthday.  Some states mandate that the ITP begin by age 14.  If your child is going to graduate at the end of 12th grade with a diploma, or if he is not going to attend a transition program, it would be best for the ITP to be completed by the beginning of 9th grade.  Therefore, transition should begin between 13 and 15 years old, depending on your child’s circumstances.

Independent living skills can be hard to learn for individuals who are used to having a lot done for them or who are accustomed to getting prompts. Sometimes, they need families to help them make the transition to independence. Utilizing ABA, I help parents change how they approach their child to provide the opportunity for their child to increase independent living skills

The first step is to create a Person Centered Plan (PCP).  Once it is written it will be used to create a new Individual Program Plan (IPP) that will put the PCP into effect. The Regional Center reimburses the person who writes the PCP.

Do you have more questions?